All living things have a certain lifespan which is the average time for which that living thing is going to be alive. Gorillas also have a certain lifespan which starts with their birth, they grow old through it and then it ends with their death. We have gathered complete information about the Gorilla Lifespan which will help you in learning about How Long Do Gorillas Live. You are also going to learn about the lifespan of the different gorilla species both in the wild and in the captivity.
How Long Do Gorillas Live
- The lifespan of gorillas depends on whether they live in the wild or in captivity.
- Gorillas usually live longer in captivity due to special care, proper nutrition availability and protection from natural threats and diseases.
- They live for 35 to 40 years in the wild, while in captivity, they live for more than 50 years.
What Is The Lifespan Of A Gorilla – Average Lifespan Of A Gorilla
- The lifespan or life expectancy of a gorilla is a statistical measure of the average expected time a gorilla live for.
- The average lifespan of a gorilla is 35 to 40 years in the wild.
- In captivity, gorillas live for more than 50 years.
How Long Do Gorillas Live In The Wild – Gorilla Lifespan In The Wild
- Gorillas do not live long in the wild as compared to in captivity.
- In the wild, they are highly susceptible to diseases and other threats, which decrease their lifespan.
- The normal lifespan of gorillas in the wild is 35 to 40 years.
How Long Do Silverback Gorillas Live – Silverback Gorilla Lifespan
- A male gorilla is also known as the silverback gorilla.
- A silverback gorilla lives for 35 to 40 years in the wild.
- In captivity, a silverback gorilla lives for more than 50 years.
Average Lifespan Of Silverback Gorilla
- The estimated average lifespan of a silverback gorilla in the wild is 35 years.
- In captivity, the average lifespan of a silverback gorilla is about 52 years.
How Long Do Gorillas Live In Captivity – Gorilla Lifespan In Captivity
- In captivity, gorillas usually live longer as they are kept under special care and are given proper nutrition.
- Their normal lifespan in captivity is up to 50 years.
- The recorded oldest living gorillas in captivity are Trudy and Fatou, both are 61 years old living at the Little Rock Zoo of Arkansas (USA) and at the Berlin Zoo (Germany), respectively.
- Before them, the record was held by Colo who died in the age of 60 years.
- Colo also has the record of the world’s first gorilla born in captivity.
- Vila was also one of the world’s oldest gorilla died at the age of 60 at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, however, she was born in the wild.
Average Lifespan Of Gorilla In Captivity
- The average lifespan of a gorilla in captivity is up to 50 years.
How Long Does Western Lowland Gorillas Live – Western Lowland Gorilla Lifespan
- Western lowland gorillas (Gorilla gorilla gorilla) live for 35 to 40 years in the wild.
- In captivity, they typically have a longer lifespan and often live for more than 50 years.
- Colo, a western lowland gorilla had 60 years lifespan in captivity.
- Vila was also a western lowland gorilla in captivity died at the age of 60.
- The recorded oldest living western lowland gorillas of the world are Trudy and Fatou, both had celebrated their 61 birthday.
Cross River Gorilla Lifespan
- Cross river gorilla (Gorilla gorilla diehli) live for approximately 35 to 50 years in the wild.
- Very little is known about the lifespan of cross river gorillas, as this subspecies is not found in captivity.
- The only cross river gorilla in captivity is Nyango, which is 25 years old.
Eastern Gorilla Lifespan
- The lifespan of an eastern gorilla (Gorilla beringei) in the wild is 30 to 40 years.
- While in captivity, eastern gorillas usually lives for 40 to 60 years.
- Individuals of this gorilla species do not do well in captivity.
Eastern Lowland Gorilla Lifespan
- Eastern lowland gorillas (Gorilla beringei graueri) live for 30 to 40 years in the wild.
- In captivity, they usually have a lifespan of more than 50 years.
How Long Does A Mountain Gorilla Live – Mountain Gorilla Lifespan
- Like other gorilla subspecies, the lifespan of mountain gorilla (Gorilla beringei beringei) in the wild is 35 to 40 years.
- According to the World Animal Foundation, the average lifespan of a mountain gorilla in captivity is 53 years.
- Mountain gorillas usually develop the signs of old age very distinctly.
- Often, the old individuals suffer from arthritis and periodontitis (gums inflammation), due to which their bones and teeth damage and consequently their lifespan reduced.